Music in the Monadnock Region
The Monadnock Region is home to authors, publishers, merchants, and incredibly talented musicians. Our residents are able to take advantage of many classical and chamber music concerts throughout the region. Take a look at some of the great musical and concert opportunities in the area:
- Apple Hill Center for Chamber Music: This non-profit arts organization exists to perform, teach, and broaden the appreciation of chamber music. They are able to produce approximately sixty concerts per year featuring their resident ensemble, string quartet, workshop faculty, and students from across the globe. The award-winning organization has been in existence since 1971.
- Colonial Performing Arts Theater: This historic venue has been inspiring audiences since 1924. It is now a state-of-the-art campus for arts, entertainment, and discovery! This venue offers live music, film as well as live broadcasting of the Metropolitan Opera.
- Electric Earth Concerts: This organization offers year-round public concerts in the Monadnock Region that are meant to inspire, educate, and entertain. Its mission is to present high-quality concerts in the Monadnock Region that animate, elevate and educate both mind and spirit.
- Keene Jazz Orchestra: The intent of the Keene Jazz Orchestra is to offer advanced local musicians a challenging setting to study the repertoire of big bands past and present. The orchestra is comprised of local music teachers, students, and other area adult musicians. The Orchestra gives musicians the chance to hone their skills and share them with the region!
- Music in Depot Park: This Summertime Concert Series takes place in Depot Park on Friday evenings throughout the season. Community members are able to bring a picnic or lawn chair and enjoy the open-air entertainment at the confluence of the Contoocook and Nubanusit Rivers.
- Peterborough Concert Series:This concert series brings critically acclaimed national and regional bands to Peterborough’s Historic Town Hall. The series offers concerts featuring blues, classic rock, jambands, folk, tributes and more.
- Peterborough Folk Music: This is an all-volunteer non-profit organization dedicated to bringing the most innovative, entertaining, and diverse musicians to the Monadnock Region. They have been bringing Folk and Americana music to the area since 1996.
- Peterborough Players: This professional theatre has established a reputation for itself as a prime destination in the area. The Players has staged more than 300 plays over the years, and they broadcast The Metropolitan Opera and London’s National Theatre during their “off” season.
- Raylynmor Opera: This opera company’s mission is to ignite a passion for opera by performing high-quality productions. They do this year-round and have performed over forty productions since their inaugural season in 1995.
- RiverMead Performing Arts Committee: This committee is made up of residents living at RiverMead and schedules about sixteen concerts per year at the RiverMead Auditorium.
Whether you prefer Classical Music, Jazz, Folk, Opera or Rock, you are sure to find a series or venue that caters to your style of music! We are lucky to have such abundant musical choices in the Monadnock Region.